Install and tighten tool 3139 before removing driveshaft to prevent damage to the CV joints.
Spare parts are not available for the driveshaft. If shaft or joints are damaged, complete driveshaft must be replaced.
Whenever the driveshaft is removed, it will have to be readjusted. To adjust the driveshaft:
- Clamp tool 3139 to driveshaft and tighten bolts
- Measure clearance “a” and install appropriate shim from the chart.
- Install shims and torque center bearing bolts to 20 Nm (14 ft-lbs).
857 521 143
857 521 143A
857 521 143B
857 521 143C
857 521 143D
With tool 3139 in position, the lateral (side to side) adjustment of the driveshaft is made automatically.
However, replacement of some external oil seals is possible. Two new tools have been introduced for seal replacement.
To replace the rear differential drive flange oil seal:
• Remove old seal
• Install threaded sleeve, tool 3066
• Tool 3066/1 is used to pull the new seal into position
In addition to a larger 26mm stabilizer bar, the front suspension incorporates track-stabilizing negative steering roll radius with power assisted rack and pinion steering to maintain directional stability under all driving conditions.
Additionally, the Mark II disc brake calipers, brake discs, wheel hubs and splash shields have all been modified for the Syncro, as have the shock and spring rates.