Oil Filter Installation
To prevent oil leaks after installing a new oil filter, the following procedure must be used.
- Apply a film of oil to the filter gasket (do not use grease)
- Screw on the filter and tighten it 1/4 of a turn after the gasket contacts the flange.
- Start the engine and run for 3-5 minutes at various speeds.
- Stop engine and check the tightness of the filter with special tool US 4496 (or equlivent) and a torque wrench.
- The filter must be torqued to 25 Nm (18 ft.lbs.)
- Start the engine and check for leaks
Engine with oil cooler
Care must be taken to insure that the oil cooler is not loosened when removing the oil filter.
If necessary, check the tightness of the nut which fastens the oil cooler to the oil filter flange.
The procedure for installing the oil filter is the same as cars without an oil cooler.